We're all prisoners! We all need to be liberated from the things that enslave us!
Muriwai's Special Get-Away.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
By
Anonymous
-
This last weekend, our family went on a very long drive to attend a picnic in Harrison, Ohio! But it wasn't just any picnic, it was the annual Helping Hands Midwest get-together; an event that gives families with upper body limb differences the opportunity to come together and meet other families who have similar differences. Beth and I wanted Muriwai to meet other kids and adults who also have their own "special arms".
This was the first time we attended this picnic, and it definitely won't be the last! Every time we attend events like these, we are struck by the confidence, strength, courage and joy that radiates throughout this community. Waiwai exudes that energy, and she never stopped smiling and chatting throughout the whole weekend. That's how much she loved it! Big brother Cyrus thoroughly enjoyed the weekend also.
The weekend consisted of 3 events; an early afternoon picnic in a beautiful park, an evening Tony Memmel concert in a local hall and breakfast together in the hotel we all stayed in. During each event, we were blessed to be able to connect with people who call their unique arms, "lucky fins"; this term originated from the movie "Finding Nemo" and a great non-profit organization called The Lucky Fin Project, which supports and encourages families with upper body limb differences.
But now, I'll just let the photos and videos below tell the story of Muriwai's special get-away....
Muriwai flexing with "Notorious" Nick Newell; Nick is a professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter with an 11-1 record. Nick's website: http://www.nicknewell.tv/
Muriwai and Tony Memmel; he'd just finished singing the "Lucky Fin Song" Tony's website: http://tonymemmel.com/wp/
Muriwai getting Nick's picture and autograph
Muriwai showing off her new t-shirt and signed photo
Nick's army! posing and showing off their "lucky fins", or WaiWai likes to say, "special arms"
Tony Memmel is signing WaiWai's special book for her.
I'm going to finish with these 2 video's; the first one (above) is from this year's Helping Hands Midwest picnic and shows Muriwai singing along. The 2nd one (below) is from last year and is found on YouTube. Enjoy....
I'm not just speaking about the "least"; I'm speaking about the "least of the least" I'm not just referring to the "homeless"; I'm referring to the "chronically homeless" I'm not just talking about the "sick"; I'm talking about the "frightfully sick" I'm writing about a group of people who gravely exceed the normal bias and prejudice that the majority of the homeless population receive. I'm delving into a group of folk who even homeless people "love to hate"; an isolated section of society that is scorned without remorse. I'm speaking about individuals who seem to face greater adversary, rejection and humiliation than any other section in modern day America. It is the sad reality that many of these folk have been so alienated, that most homeless shelters even reject them, causing them to sleep outside in parks, on trains, under viaducts, in abandoned buil...
A few years ago, a good friend of mine introduced me to this amazing short film called "The Butterfly Circus" A guy named Mr Mendez was traveling through the desert with a bunch of friends. They see a carnival, so they stop to check it out. This carnival has what's called a "freak show" , a sideshow, where they stare and laugh at a few people who are different. Finally, they come to the final curtain and the announcer, the carnival ringmaster, cries out: "And now, a perversion of nature. Cursed from birth. A man, if you can call him that, whom God Himself has turned His back upon. I give you.... the limbless man!" He pulls back the curtain and there stands a young man without limbs. His name is Will ; he was born with no arms and no legs. The small crowd looks shocked, groans and even laughs at him. As they disappear, two young boys remain and pull tomatoes out of their pockets. One of these kids throws one at this defenseless limbles...
Our lives are beautiful and daunting contradictions. Whatever paths we travel on, we are simultaneously clobbered and gifted. During the past couple of years, my family and I haven't been able to escape this reality. Relentless heaviness and enormous pressure have been weighing us down, yet in the same breath, we are being lifted up and carried, lightening our load and allowing us to enjoy the beauty that surrounds and embraces us. We have screamed for normalcy, but have continually been hit with abnormalities. We have cried for simplicity, but complexities never fail to intrude. We wish that our lives were painless, but we never find ourselves free from all the trauma and agony that haunts us. Though despair tries to imprison us, we must learn from history and observe the legacies of people who suffered through deep dark shadows and didn’t let their situations grip or overpower them. They lived in the contradiction of embracing love, hope, and joy through it all. ...
Comments