Remembering Franck: My Coworker and Friend.

Recently I found out my coworker and friend Franck unexpectedly passed away. I'd known him for about 22 years.

Franck was one of the closest people I knew in Chicago. I loved this bro! We worked together. We ate hundreds of meals together. We argued together. He drove me crazy and I drove him crazy. He loved my family and I loved his. We joked together. We had each other's backs. Our bond was tight because we united in deep trenches and battled for those experiencing homelessness. 


Franck cared. Deeply. He cared deeply for his coworkers. He cared deeply for those experiencing homelessness. Franck cared and viewed things from a black-and-white worldview, while I normally operate in the grey, which always created an interesting tension within our friendship.

I could write pages about Franck, but I'll keep it brief with 5 little stories that highlight the beauty and growth of my friend and coworker...
  1. One of my oldest memories. I had just started working with Franck and he came into my office, dead serious. He told me we should throw away all the TVs in the family program, as the kids need to do their homework. He reminded me how he'd come from the Congo, worked 3 jobs and learnt English, and how the shelter residents should have his passion and dedication. We went back and forth. He heard why having a TV can be beneficial while living in a homeless shelter. No TVs were tossed that day, and years later, Franck was known for his hustle and getting families who didn't have a TV, a TV. 
  2. Franck's infectious laugh and sense of humour. He loved to tease us. He loved to shock us. He loved to irritate us. He used to find that little snippet to pick on and then he'd bring it up again and again. He loved to make himself laugh at our expense. Most of the time we enjoyed it, but not all the time. He'd often cross a line or go too far. When he was offensive, I'd have to work on my peacemaking or de-escalating skills. His humour and laugh made him memorable and opened many doors for him, and I know I miss that cheeky twinkle in his eye he'd get when he was going to hone in on someone.
  3. Mr "Fix This Case". I was Franck's boss so he would come to me with problems. There was a season when he would storm into my office with an incident report and say "Fix this case". Beth and I would joke about it and call him Mr Fix This Case. Sometimes I would put it back on him, knowing he could " fix it". When I'd "fix this case" he was often not happy with how I'd deal with it, especially when I'd give someone another chance. He felt I showed too much mercy or was too kind or too soft.
  4. Crossing Lanes: Franck didn't stay in his lane, which was mostly positive. When we had emergencies, he was there, helping. He would step up when it wasn't part of his program or job description. He always went beyond the call of duty. If I needed help over the weekend, he was there. If I needed someone in the evening, he was there. Organisations need people like Franck willing to step out of their lanes and help others. CCO has lost someone who filled many holes.
  5. A memory that sums up Franck's heart: Franck often put on a tough facade but he was a tireless advocate for the weakest and most vulnerable. So many times I witnessed his merciful side, where he put aside differences and hostility. A client was barred for something bad he did. We'll call him Josh. Josh hated Franck and he had told him that many times. He viewed Franck as a power-hungry mean dude who hated white folk. Josh was an old white man who had trouble breathing. Franck saw Josh sleeping in the park and felt compassion for him. Franck came to me and begged me to give him another chance. I found Josh and told him his bar was lifted due to Franck's request. Josh would not believe me, he was still hostile, but Franck wanted to give him another chance, so Josh returned to the program. Franck had this gentle side that many people didn't see.
Franck was always amused by how white people's faces would go red if they were mad or glad or sad or embarrassed or drunk. He loved to point it out and joke about it. Franck, my face is red not because I'm drunk or embarrassed, but because I'm mad you've been taken from us, sad because I won't see you again in this reality, and glad because I will get to see you again in another reality where there will be "no more tears". Rest In Paradise My Bro!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Old Paths. New Paths. Our Ever-Evolving Journey!

The God of Outcasts