Redeeming Addiction

Bowing down before the idol
 tasting sweet & so seductive
  confidently holding head high
   it cuddles it grips it holds
    fastened it won't let go
     succumbing to the addictive power
Believing her propaganda
 living that lifeless existence
  trapped in endless mourning
   feeling insignificantly distant
    a deafening scream of powerlessness
     we have stooped into nothingness
Our weeping floods the abyss
 oh how we wept such bitter tears
  humbled by the consistent pain
   humiliated by ever-present weakness
    blessed are the poor in spirit
     that beam of Hope gently nudges
Bent knees finds miraculous Redemption
 rising from the grave reality
  death is conquered
   birth resurrects new Life
    Life is celebrating
     new found
      blessed
      freedom

Comments

Twenty-five years have passed, now, since my first coming to the (Chicago) Jesus People's front door; then located on Malden, still near Wilson and Broadway.

Although using only marijuana, and the occasional tab of LSD, i was still addicted when i arrived. The evidence is in my history of (self) abuse. . . .

Fast-forwarding to recent history, tho', i've just been humbled (again) by my own return to my secondary fellowship with the Baffled Lot, an AA group within walking distance from my home (of two years, now - actually longer than all of my exp. as a full time member of the Chicago commune) in NE Seattle.

I had hoped that my Higher Power, the Lord Jesus, would have permitted me to remain in the alternate secondary fellowship of a Narcotics Anonymous group. This was not to be, tho'. I still had a couple of layers of denial to strip away before coming around to the inescapable conclusion that i still had an ongoing issue of substance abuse - specifically with alcohol.

But today i am separated from my last beer by three months, and continuing with my recovery; both in church, and in (the Baffled Lot) my AA group which i will, gratefully, attend this evening.

Jpusa will always have my gratitude for being that commune, and for setting me on the path to recovery, some twenty-five years prior to this past summer! And thanks to you, Jeremy too, for openly sharing your poetry here! :)
Jeremy Nicholls said…
Thanks for sharing that Steve

Popular posts from this blog

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

The God of Outcasts