OUTREACH STORY #2: Rotten Teeth and The Cry for Petrol

My phone rang.

I looked at my caller ID. I quickly recalled the brief history I'd had with this elderly gentleman. Only a few weeks ago he was living in his car. Only a few weeks ago I had to proactively respond to a suicidal text which haunted me for 48 hours. Only a few weeks ago he was attacked while sleeping in his car. Only a few weeks ago his homelessness caused greater separation from his adult autistic son. But now he is housed, his son has a safe place to visit, and his suicidal ideations have dissipated.

I pondered my schedule. I wondered what I could postpone if I had to respond and act immediately. As my mind spiralled through different scenarios, I reluctantly answered the call.

He had run out of petrol and money and his pension wouldn't hit his bank account for a few days. He was broke and needed help.

Not only did he need enough gas to get home to his apartment, which was less than a kilometre away, but he also needed to get to and from a dentist appointment on Monday. He was scheduled to have 5 infected teeth pulled out.

I changed my plans and drove to the park where he was waiting. He apologised for bothering me and expressed his gratitude. I told him it was "all good" and we grabbed his petrol can and walked to the gas station just a couple minutes away. We filled up his can, which then went into his car, and then he drove back to the gas station, where I helped him with enough petrol to get to and from his upcoming dental appointment.

The encounter was quick. He was incredibly grateful. He's always polite and grateful. I returned to my previous schedule and he headed home.

Three reflections from this brief encounter:
  1. The Cars of the Poor Live Just Above Empty: This man’s empty gas tank isn’t unique, it's common! Many drive around anxiously not knowing if they have enough to arrive at their destination. Calculating whether they have enough petrol adds great stress to already stressful situations. A car is a necessity for many in Aotearoa. Having a car full of petrol is a luxury. An empty tank isn’t because of wasteful spending, the poor simply don’t have enough money to keep that needle above the red at all times.
  2. Teeth Matter: There’s a reason those experiencing homelessness often reject an offer of apples or peanuts, and it’s not because they prefer junk food, it’s because their unhealthy teeth can only handle softer foods. A healthy mouth results in a healthier heart and a healthier person, but because dentists are so expensive many people don’t see them until their teeth are rotten and decaying and need to be extracted. Preventative dental care should not only be for the wealthy, it should be free or affordable enough for the poor to get the care they need too! This is something we shouldn’t ignore. This is something we should be asking our representatives to address.
  3. Love is the Answer: We all need other people who are flexible and adaptable enough to change their plans. We need people who will respond to our emergencies. Love means prioritising the greatest need and responding. Love must act. Love meets needs. Love is the answer. Love is always the answer!
UPDATE: He went to his dentist appointment. They only took 2 of his teeth out, so they scheduled another appointment for the other 3 teeth. He called me on the day of the surgery and asked if I'd be willing to pick him up and drive him home. I did! The poor guy was in immense pain and couldn't talk! It was a quiet ride, but he looked content. As he got out of the car, he smiled, gave me the thumbs up and walked up to his apartment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The God of Outcasts