OUTREACH STORY #3: New Life for Old Bags

I proudly looked at an old photo on my wall. It's of my youngest daughter Muriwai at 6-years-old wearing a Wonder Woman costume and holding 2 mats crafted from old plastic bags.

In Chicago, someone came up with a brilliant initiative; take thousands of plastic bags and turn them into mats for those experiencing homelessness. These mats create a buffer between the person and the concrete, these mats help take the agonising chill off people's arthritic hips, while also rescuing thousands of plastic bags from landfills and waterways each year. They take something toxic for the environment and turn it into something highly beneficial and sustainable for those most vulnerable. 

What adds beauty and meaningfulness to this initiative is that these mats are mainly crocheted by retirees and pensioners who love doing their part to address a growing need. These women (with a few men) come together for "working bee" events, where they fellowship and the time is also used to spark awareness about homelessness. I know this because I was asked a few times to attend their annual event, share some stories and then fill up my van with dozens of mats to distribute to those rough sleeping. 

This non-profit is called "New Life for Old Bags". Despite facing giant obstacles like COVID-19 and cities like Chicago attempting to outlaw* plastic bags, NLOB continues to make these mats to be handed out. *I wholeheartedly agree with this policy of trying to eradicate plastic as it is so destructive to wildlife and the planet.

I have been in a unique position, people have bought, given, made and created items for me to pass out to those in need - what an honour! It was a privilege to give out these mats, and I especially loved it when my whānau came with me. And now it’s an honour to give out items in Tāmaki Makaurau.

When I started my outreach role at Visionwest, I was given a few dozen "homeless packs" made by children to pass out. These little colourful cotton bags with drawstrings were stuffed with hygiene items, socks, a snack bar, lollies and an encouraging note. I drove around Waitākere, introduced myself, spoke of my role and handed out these packs.

One day, while driving, I saw 3 people sitting on a bench by a busy intersection. I pulled over and handed out 3 bags. They looked me up and down. They were suspicious of me. There wasn't much of a conversation, I just introduced myself, blessed them with these packs and disappeared. I didn't think much of it. I wondered if I'd ever see them again. A few months later I was walking around, when this fella, surrounded by his buddies, got my attention. At first, I didn't recognise him, but he was one of the 3. He asked if I had any more of "those packs". He thanked me for that bag, especially because socks were in it. 

A couple of us had given them all out. I had none left, but that initial encounter led to a second encounter, which led to many more encounters. He was sleeping under a bridge. He needed more than socks, he needed advocacy in Court, he needed other items and he needed a home. Since that initial encounter, he's been assisted by a few of us to meet those needs. Today, I'm happy to say, he no longer sleeps under a bridge, but in his own bed, in his own furnished place. 

As an Outreach Worker, I'm blessed to be gifted with items to bless others. Not only do the NLOB mats and socks and countless other items create more comfort and less pain, but they also have the power to create new opportunities, they can take us on a journey from homelessness to housing. I've been blessed to have seen this dozens, if not hundreds, of times. 


Three reflections on these brief encounters:
  1. Use What is Destructive for Good: Plastic bags are some of the most destructive things in the world. Some people, with a love for others and the environment, decided to use their creative energy to turn what's destructive into something beautiful and beneficial. We also have that power within us. We can also use our imaginations, and be motivated by compassion, like the good people crocheting mats for New Life for Old Bags. We can follow their example of using what is destructive for good.
  2. Providing Comfort is Okay: I often hear a complaint, that gifting the poor or those experiencing homelessness results in just enabling people or putting a band-aid on a problem. Even if our gifts don't lead to housing, it is the right thing to do. Giving to others provides comfort to those suffering and in pain. Giving to others is a nice thing to do. It's a merciful thing to do! The world needs to experience less judging and more compassion. The world needs more givers and gifters. If you feel led, give!
  3. Love is the Answer: Years ago, I decided I’d rather be accused of showing too much love and mercy than too much judgment or hardness. Years ago, I decided that if I made a mistake, I'd rather that mistake be on the side of love and mercy. Years ago, I decided it was okay to be called a fool or a sucker for being too loving and merciful. Years ago, I decided I didn't want to be known as a harsh tough guy, but as someone who showed love and mercy to my fellow human beings. Love is always the answer. Choose love. Choose mercy. Choose compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The God of Outcasts