OUTREACH STORY #4: Linda

Linda lived under a bridge just down the road in a tent surrounded by many other tents. She was an elderly lady with a compassionate heart and an infectious sense of humour. She had a presence, a Chicago-style toughness, about her. She was a generous giver who didn't take "any crap", and she always let everyone know that she was not someone to mess with.

Linda slept in her tent all year round, with her arthritic hips and swollen joints, on the cold hard concrete. She slept in the sweltering heat. She huddled under multiple blankets in the polar vortexes and blizzards. She stood steadfast when the police and politicians abused their power and bullied the Uptown Tent City occupants. She proudly wore her "Jail Rahm*" pin every day as a protest against the Chicago Mayor and the governing authorities. When people threatened her, she never cowered away. Her tent was her home and she stood her ground. Always!
*Rahm Emanuel was Chicago's Mayor at the time. He was viewed, by many, as especially unsympathetic and harmful to those experiencing homelessness. There were many protests around this time about how he favoured the elite and stomped on Chicago's poor.*

One Sunday morning, she walked up to Church, her sanctuary, and sat down. She was there every Sunday and we'd often sit next to her. One cold morning, in a time of "sharing", one of the leaders lamented how rough it is to be popular and how people always needed his attention. Linda was crocheting at the time, she peered over her glasses, leaned in and whispered, "He should try being homeless!"

Almost the whole Church heard her whisper. Some glared in her direction, while others, like myself, quietly laughed at her "reality check". Linda was losing her hearing and didn't know how loud she could be, but at the same time, she didn't care if people heard. She spoke a very poignant truth, and maybe, just maybe, we all needed Linda's spontaneous blunt sarcasm to remind us of the inequality within our church walls,

When I remember Linda, I love to reflect on this story, because it sums her up. Her humour, her faith, her bluntly challenging unjust systems, and her knitting toys to gift others.

Earlier this year, I found out that my beautiful friend had passed away. These are some words I posted on her memorial page…

I remember the day I took this photo, back in 2016! It was definitely one of my highlights of that year: seeing my friend Linda move off the cold concrete, and out of her tent and into her own home just before winter!

I remember first meeting Linda, with her tent in the middle of Uptown Tent City. I remember her tough exterior and her gentle soul. I remember her testing me at first, to make sure I was safe, and then after establishing I was trustworthy, we journeyed together for years.

I remember her sitting cross-legged on the sidewalk, crocheting hats, scarves and toys. I remember her business cards, where she called herself the “Happy Hooker”. I remember her selling some and kindly giving others away.

I remember the City coming into her space with their big impossible promises, and she refused to trust them because she had heard these promises before and she’d been hurt too many times. I remember telling her how their promises were too lofty and impossible, but we will hold them accountable and make housing possible. I remember her signing up.

I remember getting that apartment took longer than we wanted, but I also remember her getting the area she wanted. She stayed in Uptown, near JPUSA, near her Church, next to Everybody's Coffee, just what she wanted! I remember her getting her key and then I had the absolute honour of taking her photo. 

I remember eating meals with her. I remember fighting injustice with her. I remember sitting with her on the sidewalk and listening to her tell me what she was going to do to people if they messed with me or my family. I remember her telling me what she’d do to me if I hurt Beth or our kids. I remember how resilient and compassionate she was.  I remember the countless gifts she gave me, Beth and the kids.

Rest in Peace, my friend. Thank you for being a part of our lives and blessing so many of us...

Three reflections on these encounters:
  1. Learn to Enjoy People's Uniqueness and Complexities: Embrace the whole person, not just the parts you find appealing or attractive. Linda was a quiet crocheting elderly woman, but she was also a protesting agitator who made her thoughts known. Embrace the whole person, with their unique personalities and complexities.
  2. We Don’t Just Need Housing, We Need Safe, Affordable, Appropriate Housing: Linda needed more than just a place, she needed a place near her community, her people, the ones she loved and respected. She found it. Placing someone just for the sake of placing someone can be very unhealthy, it can make someone very isolated and lonely. Just as Linda moved into safe affordable and appropriate housing, everyone deserves the same opportunity!
  3. Love is the Answer: Love your neighbours sleeping in tents. Love your neighbours sitting on the sidewalk crocheting scarves. Love your neighbours who raise their voices in the face of injustice. Love is always the answer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The God of Outcasts