He's Home, He's Content!

Today, I drove an elderly gentleman to his tiny home, a place surrounded by other tiny homes, a place that includes a toilet and a shower, but is smaller than most of our bedrooms.

He didn't complain. He loves it. He's grateful. He said it's airy, it gets enough light, he's eating well, and his neighbours are great. To him, it's perfect, it's just what he needs at this time.

It was just a month ago he was sleeping on a mouldy stained mattress under a bridge, now he has a tiny home, a bed, regular healthy meals, and a caring community surrounding him.

To many, this sounds horrifying. Many of us have much more and we want more and then even more, myself included. While we crave, he's content in the present.

I drop him off, and he exclaims, "God bless you, Jeremy". I reply "God bless you too, my friend". He wanders off toward his tiny home, satisfied and smiling with a thankful heart.

I drive off, blessed to be part of his journey, blessed to know he has a place, blessed to see him satisfied, blessed to know this man who is challenging me to be content in my present circumstances. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The God of Outcasts