OUTREACH STORIES

I have a goal. It's an ambitious goal. I don't know if I'll attain it, but I plan to write 50 brief reflections over the next year about my encounters and work as an Outreach Worker to those experiencing homelessness...

These reflections could be from Auckland or Chicago. They could be from that particular day or a couple decades ago. They certainly won't all be happy joyful hope-filled stories, and they certainly won't all be depressing traumatic tales, because Outreach takes us on an eclectic ever-evolving journey. I'm going to be as honest and realistic as possible,

I hope these reflections illustrate the importance and need for Outreach Workers. I hope these reflections open our eyes to the poverty that surrounds us. I hope these reflections help us to stop seeing those experiencing homelessness as the "other", but as "us". I hope these reflections challenge us to raise our voices against unfair and oppressive systems. I hope these reflections help us all to have more compassion and aroha (love) for our most vulnerable neighbours. 

These reflections are connected to 2 recent posts I have written and encourage you to read, as they look at (1) my evolving journey as an Outreach Worker and (2) what homelessness looks like in the 2 cities I've lived most of my life, Chicago and Tāmaki Makaurau...

I plan to record all the links in this post below...

  1. "You're Not Gonna Bible Bash Me Are You?"
  2. Rotten Teeth and The Cry for Petrol
  3. New Life for Old Bags
  4. Linda





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eclectic Path of an Outreach Worker: Reaching Out to Those Experiencing Homelessness!

Homelessness in Chicago VS Homelessness in Auckland

The God of Outcasts